published Saturday, July 21st, 2012

Crime Scene

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

118
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.

Sometimes that world is scary.

July 21, 2012 at 12:17 a.m.
jesse said...

Well bulbs,you stayed up late to get the jump on clays new cartoon and he came up w/a DUD!!

some times you just can't win for losin!

BUT don't worry, i'm sure the conversation will soon degenerate into the usual left x right drivel and everybody can get back to tellin each other how stupid they are!!LOL

July 21, 2012 at 4:13 a.m.
anniebelle said...

maybe we could have an adult conersation about the gun violence in this country, if only we had some adults.

July 21, 2012 at 5:40 a.m.
jesse said...

HEY ANNIEBELLE? How many guns did Tim Mcveigh have when he blew up Okla, city?? Their is no defense against a PSHYCOPATH w/an agenda! What about Dahmer,Bundy,and Kazinsky!NO GUNS INVOLVED!! GUNS ain't the prob. the prob. is HUMAN NATURE!! The shooter in Denver has been described as a "smart loner"! Maybe we need to make "smart" a felony!!

July 21, 2012 at 5:54 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Who needs the type of weapontry this killer had other than the military or the police? How did he so easily attain these weapons? Your argument doesn't hold water to a rational person, just an NRA pshycopath.

July 21, 2012 at 5:57 a.m.
jesse said...

Actually i don't own a gun and am not a member of the N.R.A. BUT what i am is a"thinking type human"!! While you mat think you are "rational" what you really are is "reactionary"!

July 21, 2012 at 6:21 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Just after 9:00 am EST, as most of the country was just learning about the tragic shooting in Aurora, Colorado, the National Rifle Association’s publication American Rifleman sent out a tweet that, in context of the day’s news, was very poorly received: “Good Morning, shooters. Happy Friday! Weekend Plans?” The message was widely circulated around Twitter for several hours this morning, before the organization first deleted the tweet, then nixed their entire account. Commenters also noticed the website appeared to be down early in the afternoon, supposedly for maintenance. A representative from the NRA’s publications division wasn’t immediately available to comment. By 2:30 pm, the website for the American Rifleman was back up, but links to the publication’s Twitter and Facebook accounts were removed, and the accounts themselves no longer exist.

July 21, 2012 at 6:30 a.m.
Reardon said...

Guns kill people; people don't kill people.

If we make something illegal, like drugs, everyone will using them.

July 21, 2012 at 6:32 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Australia has tighter gun laws than us, and their homicide rate is lower, doesn't this mean anything to you? Guns are the problem. People don't want to see that. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/mr/1-20/13.aspx In a few words: gun related crime rate in the US => 38% Australia => 4-5%

July 21, 2012 at 6:41 a.m.
tenben62 said...

Hey Annie How bout I pack your bags for Down Under if they're so much safter. Btw, I dont own a gun either, I dont have a use for one but I sure like having the FREEDOM to own one.

July 21, 2012 at 6:48 a.m.
jesse said...

Well, once upon a time we made alcohol illegal,that didn't work out so well so we made drugs illegal and THAT ain't workin too good either! Now we got the mafia and the cartels! Make guns illegal and what do you get?(you get what clay's cartoon is all about although i don't think that was his point!!)

July 21, 2012 at 6:49 a.m.
tenben62 said...

Another thing Annie, How bout a stat that you or Micheal Moore do not like to give when comparing national gun violence. Who has the lowest crime rate in the world? Switzerland-- there EVERYONE owns a gun.

July 21, 2012 at 6:50 a.m.
anniebelle said...

And you might want to look up the term "well-regulated", because apparently you don't have a clue what that means. And by the way, Switzerland citizens on average have a much larger I.Q. than the average gun toter in the U.S.A.

July 21, 2012 at 7:10 a.m.
EaTn said...

I'm a liberal gun owner who things the gun nuts have pushed this country back a hundred years, but the fact is guns are here to stay. We don't need knee jerk reactions over these copycat type shootings with more political crap that causes turmoil and more violence- focus on the issues instead of the weapons. The population of the country has doubled the past few decades; if you get more dogs in a pen you're going to have more dog fights.

July 21, 2012 at 7:22 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Gun-related death rates in the United States are eight times higher than they are in countries that are economically and politically similar to it. Higher rates are found in developing countries and those with political instability.

July 21, 2012 at 7:28 a.m.
anniebelle said...

I'm not speaking just to this incident in Colorado, I'm talking about the l00's of senseless shootings that happen daily in this country by such morons as George Zimmerman who now claims it was god's plan for him to shoot an unarmed teenager.

July 21, 2012 at 7:46 a.m.
conservative said...

The man could just as easily have carried a five gallon can of gas into the theater poured it on the inclined floor, lit it and would probably done more harm.

It is the heart of man that kills and only God can change the heart.

Liberals constantly seek to eradicate God in our society and they succeeded with this man.

July 21, 2012 at 7:49 a.m.
annisisbell said...

How many young Christian men has our government gotten killed in the middle east?

How many of our people will die if israel and American jews can bully us into attacking Iran?

How many Americans have died at the hands of illegals? How many women have been raped by illegals? Wasn't that an illegal who tried to kidnap a 10 year old girl from the sidewalk in Philadelphia?

How many people have died as a result of Obama's Hit List? How many people have died as a result of "our" government's drones and assassination squads?

How come this newspaper never talks about the hostile ruling elites who are getting our people killed? Its not safe to go out there and the prime culprits are the ones who've taken over our government. Big Brother is always watching. Now he wants to take your guns.

July 21, 2012 at 7:51 a.m.

Perhaps it is the mindset of recent years in this country that we should be examining here. We live in one of the most divided periods in US history. Our media and government have created a culture of fear. Our schools have been ineffective in delivering the tools citizens need to determine fact from noise from doublespeak. The fact is that emotional people have great difficulty making rational decisions. While one can argue that this tragedy would not have been as bad without guns, @jesse makes the valid point that guns are not necessary to prevent psychopaths from wreaking havoc.

The promotion of absolutism by our media and leaders will likely play a role in this massacre. Whether it's learned that he had a political, religious, or some other agenda, you can bet he felt his actions were justified.

July 21, 2012 at 7:59 a.m.
limric said...

anniebelle,

You posit that "maybe we could have an adult conversation about the gun violence in this country, if only we had some adults." Please explain the latter part of that sentence, and what it means.

So ok, lets have an adult conversation about the gun violence. That's a good idea. BUT, it invariably leads to positions of control and or registration. Which has in every instance leads to confiscation - 100% of the time.

July 21, 2012 at 8:41 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Doubt the shooter is an NRA member. AnnieBelle is on a rant. Bad spelling and all.

July 21, 2012 at 8:42 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

If we ban guns, do you really expect to see the gang bangers and criminals turn their guns in? Of course not. Then only the law abiding citizens will be unarmed making big targets out of themselves.

July 21, 2012 at 8:48 a.m.
alprova said...

jesse wrote: "Well bulbs,you stayed up late to get the jump on clays new cartoon and he came up w/a DUD!!"

Gee...don't be mad because you couldn't be first. At least bulbs offered his take on the subject of the day.

"some times you just can't win for losin!"

You know all about that, don't you?

"BUT don't worry, i'm sure the conversation will soon degenerate into the usual left x right drivel and everybody can get back to tellin each other how stupid they are!!LOL"

No thanks to you, for that is very typical of the type of post that can be expected from you.

July 21, 2012 at 9:24 a.m.
alprova said...

Reardon wrote: "If we make something illegal, like drugs, everyone will using them."

Everyone? Really?

July 21, 2012 at 9:27 a.m.
timbo said...

I told my son yesterday that it would take about 8 hours for liberal media and politicians to start yelling gun control over the Colorado shootings. I was wrong, it took MSNBC 2 hours.

Yes, before these people were cold the liberals in this country just couldn't wait to USE THE VICTIMS to push their socialist, government control agenda.

First of all, these types of things are EXTREMELY RARE. There is more chance of you being killed by being struck by lightning than in a mass murder. 100 people being killed in a year in these kinds of things in a population of 325,000,000 is not a big threat. Yes our murder rate is higher than some other countries but it is because of our lax judicial system. We can't keep these people off the street.

Bennett and Austin have no shame. The liberal media salivates over getting something like this to hype so some journalist can win a Pulitzer or they can push their stupid liberal ideals.

The bottom line is this; no government entity can protect you at all. There were policemen on duty in the theater and they didn't stop one thing. They didn't even get off a shot or even subdue the suspect. What chance do you think they have of protecting you on the street or in your home? It is not the police's fault but the fact is all they do is come in and clean up the mess. You are just as dead.

One more thing, what if a couple of people had legal guns in theater? They might have saved everyone. Just like guns protect the rest of us millions of times every year.

Shame on you Bennett, Harry Austin, and the rest of you cowering liberals that just want the government to control everything we do.

July 21, 2012 at 9:29 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

alpo: Props to you for your brevity @9:27.

July 21, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.
alprova said...

Tenben62 wrote: "Hey Annie How bout I pack your bags for Down Under if they're so much safter. Btw, I dont own a gun either, I dont have a use for one but I sure like having the FREEDOM to own one."

No one, that I am aware of, has ever suggested that all guns be outlawed. But the man took to the scene an AR-15 assault rifle, two glock handguns, and a shotgun. The AR-15 assault rifle, in and of itself, can be modified to fire up to a hundred rounds without reloading.

There is no reason on God's green Earth for anyone to need access to a gun with that capability for personal defense or for hunting.

I would be very happy to see a law passed that provided an immediate death penalty sentence for any civilian caught in possession of such an assault type weapon.

July 21, 2012 at 9:43 a.m.
Reardon said...

*everyone will STOP using them -- kinda an important word to leave out, huh?

Just using the SUCCESS of the War on Drugs we've had over past several decades to BOLSTER my rationale for BANNING all guns to prevent crime.

July 21, 2012 at 9:45 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

alpo: "I would be very happy to see a law passed that provided an immediate death penalty sentence for any civilian caught in possession of such an assault type weapon." Sure you jest, Alpo? Immediate death penalty? Pretty harsh for a left-leaner, sir.

July 21, 2012 at 9:48 a.m.
timbo said...

alpo....There is a reason...to keep our government honest and keep you libs from completely making us subservient to the government. No other country has ever even contemplated invading the US because as a Japanese General once said, "there would be a gun on every street corner." Our government feels the same way.

Timothy McVeigh used urea and diesel fuel. Let's outlaw them. This guy in Colorado was evidently very knowledgeable about explosives. If he didn't have a gun he might have blown up the theater and killed even more people.

THIS IS RARE. ADULTS AREN'T GOVERNED BY FEAR. THEY MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON FACTS. TRY IT LIBERALS, YOU MIGHT LIKE IT.

July 21, 2012 at 9:51 a.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "It is the heart of man that kills and only God can change the heart."

If only it were that simple.

"Liberals constantly seek to eradicate God in our society and they succeeded with this man."

I'm sorry, but it needs to be said.

That Sir, is just about the most outrageous, ignorant, and the most stupid comment you have offered in this forum to date.

James Eagan Holmes was "heavily" involved in a local Presbyterian church that he attended.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/james-holmes-colorado-shooter-described-as-normal-christian-boy-amid-mental-health-investigation-photo-78623/

July 21, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.
fairmon said...

Guilty due to insanity would be a more appropriate plea. It is rediculous for a crime be committed with the defense being "not guilty" because they were insane? When there is a confession and there is "no doubt" who the perp is why is there a jury trial? Why should tax payers in Colorado support this nut beyond 30 days? Perhaps every citizen reaching age 18 should be required to attend and successfully complete gun safety training then be issued a gun with permission to carry it at all times. What would have happened to the Colorado theater gunman? This approach would be a more likely deterrent and reduce crimes with guns than any attempt to ban ownership.

July 21, 2012 at 10 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Didn't Bennett do something very similar to this in the not too distant past?

July 21, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Alpo: What we need is gubment regulation of the Presbyterian Church.

July 21, 2012 at 10:13 a.m.
Easy123 said...

timbo,

"100 people being killed in a year in these kinds of things in a population of 325,000,000 is not a big threat."

There were 14,748 murders in 2010.

"Yes our murder rate is higher than some other countries but it is because of our lax judicial system."

False.

"We can't keep these people off the street. We have liberals to thank for that."

False.

"One more thing, what if a couple of people had legal guns in the theater? They might have saved everyone."

What if, what if, what if?

"Just like guns protect the rest of us millions of times every year."

Prove it.

"Timothy McVeigh used urea and diesel fuel. Let's outlaw them. This guy in Colorado was evidently very knowledgeable about explosives. If he didn't have a gun he might have blown up the theater and killed even more people."

This is the most ridiculous argument I have ever read. Let's all be glad he used guns instead of a bomb, right? Are you psychotic?

"THIS IS RARE. ADULTS AREN'T GOVERNED BY FEAR. THEY MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON FACTS. TRY IT LIBERALS, YOU MIGHT LIKE IT."

Rare by what standards? You obviously don't know the facts. You think there are 100 murders in a year. Would you like to try again?

July 21, 2012 at 11:25 a.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Easy123: Still living in his dysfunctional world of zits, mountain dew, and Wiki.

July 21, 2012 at 11:41 a.m.
Easy123 said...

JackTroll,

Your mom knows all about my Wiki and my Mountain Dew.

Post something worth reading, bitch boy.

July 21, 2012 at 11:44 a.m.
degage said...

Al, the fact that Holmes went to a presbyterian church when he lived at home doesn't mean he still does. Ask Easy, when we were having a discusion about religion he stated he used to belong to a church and now he is an athiest. People change. Yes Easy, criminals manage to kill a lot of people especialy in Obamas home town. No matter what, they will get guns while law abiding citizens are left unarmed to protect themselves. So you can turn in your gun if you have one I'm keeping mine.

July 21, 2012 at 12:48 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

We need more gun control. The gang bangers would surely fall in line following the ordinances.

July 21, 2012 at 12:48 p.m.
fairmon said...

It is unfortunate he didn't level his gun at the police so they could have executed him on the spot.

Alprova your pointing out he was heavily involved in a church, whatever heavily involved in means, proves that you can't trust someone just because the claim to be committed to a religion. You can find a lot of preachers and politicians in that category.

July 21, 2012 at 12:49 p.m.
limric said...

James Holmes (the gunman) passed the following criteria to obtain weaponry:

The person must be over the age of 18.

The person must be a United States Citizen.

The person must never have been convicted of felony.

The person must never have been convicted of a drug charge, even a misdemeanor.

The person must not have any reported mental illnesses.

He had no prior criminal record. His only previous encounter with police in Aurora is for a traffic ticket. There’s nothing anyone could really do to prevent his rampage.

July 21, 2012 at 2:20 p.m.
alprova said...

degage wrote: "Al, the fact that Holmes went to a presbyterian church when he lived at home doesn't mean he still does."

CNN reported that he attended a church within walking distance of his apartment.

"Ask Easy, when we were having a discusion about religion he stated he used to belong to a church and now he is an athiest. People change."

What's your point? Conservative blamed liberals for what the man did, which is totally ridiculous. The man apparently was very much a Christian recently in his life, and for some reason, he lost all sense of sanity. What led to that happening is anyone's guess, but what I know for a fact is that it was not due to anything having to do with liberalism.

July 21, 2012 at 2:31 p.m.
alprova said...

Harp3339 wrote: "Alprova your pointing out he was heavily involved in a church, whatever heavily involved in means, proves that you can't trust someone just because the claim to be committed to a religion. You can find a lot of preachers and politicians in that category."

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that.

July 21, 2012 at 2:33 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

limiric,

While I agree with "There’s nothing anyone could really do to prevent his rampage.", I would like to point out that a well placed shot to the head could have ended the rampage before the body count grew so large.

Too bad no one in that theater had a suitable weapon, a clear shot and the will to do the deed.

July 21, 2012 at 2:34 p.m.
fairmon said...

Alprova said...

What led to that happening is anyone's guess, but what I know for a fact is that it was not due to anything having to do with liberalism.

I have to agree. A liberal or conservative ideology does not always result in the same position regarding gun control and the second amendment. One report indicated he was a frequent player of violence oriented video games, should they be banned? Something pushed him over the edge to being a fantisizing looney. If you want less of something heavily tax it. Put a rediculously high tax at the producer and sales level on movies and games containing violence. There would be a lot less on the market.

July 21, 2012 at 2:58 p.m.
Easy123 said...

sTUpid,

"Since The Z-Man made no such claim this is only your opinion"

From your beloved Fox News:

"I feel that it was all God's plan, and for me to second guess it or judge it," Zimmerman shook his head.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/19/zimmerman-says-sorry-trayvon-martin-family-had-to-bury-their-child-family-calls/#ixzz21Hq3ivCY

Try again, dumbass. LMFAO!

"so he could shoot dead the punk that tried to kill him by pounding his head on the concrete."

Oh yeah, the street punk that went to get Skittles and some sweet tea. What a 'street punk'! You're more ignorant than I thought.

July 21, 2012 at 3:24 p.m.
blackwater48 said...

WHAT'S THE FUSS?

I haven't bothered watching the news about the latest mass murder committed by a god fearing gun toting American citizen. Shootings like that stopped being news decades ago. I read somewhere that 10,000 Americans are gunned down every year.

This isn't news. It's the price of doing business.

July 21, 2012 at 3:43 p.m.

of cosmic accidents and random collections of molecules

Moral relativists take a bow. The day belongs to you. Whatever his religious affiliation, his worldview was shaped by you.

William Provine: “Modern science directly implies that there … is no ultimate meaning for humans”

Richard Dawkins: “The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference. … DNA neither knows nor cares. DNA just is. And we dance to its music”

Richard Dawkins: “evolutionary theory undermines the religious belief that the meaning of life is to be found in a loving relationship with God and with other human beings.”

Edward O. Wilson: “no species, ours included, possesses a purpose beyond the imperatives created by its genetic history”

Chet Raymo: “We are small, contingent parts of something that existed long before we appeared on the scene. . . . We are as incidental to the cosmos as are ephemeral mayflies to the planet Earth. At first glance, this was shattering news. Indeed, the majority of us have not yet come to terms with it. . . . Our lives are brief, our fate is oblivion.”

July 21, 2012 at 3:57 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

What are you talking about?

July 21, 2012 at 4:02 p.m.
blackwater48 said...

ANNIEBELLE HAS A LOT OF NERVE

Imagine decrying senseless violence! IN AMERICA!! And posting such musings on THIS site where only the most rational graze.

The fact that even one human soul could express such naiveté in this Country is bewildering.

You know what I say everytime there's another story on the news about a shooting death? Right before I either hit 'mute' or change the channel? The only thing left to say:

Another day shot.

July 21, 2012 at 4:15 p.m.

He was acting consistently with what he had been taught throughout his academic career, in the media, and, conceivably, in his church. He was taught the idiocy espoused by many of you: that morality is relative to the individual and that there is no objective moral standard by which human behavior should be judged. He has been taught that good and evil are simply social constructions and that one conception of morality is just as valid as another. The gunman embraced the myth that humans are ultimately no more than random collections of molecules and that they have no meaning, purpose, or value beyond their biological utility. He and his victims are (according to his worldview) “ephemeral mayflies.” Our fate is oblivion. He was an adult – an autonomous individual – making his own choices. Who are we to make moral judgments about the choices he made? He was acting consistently with your worldview.

July 21, 2012 at 4:19 p.m.
miraweb said...

And still, the real question remains - a person under severe stress with access to high-power weapons is a danger to a whole lot of other people.

Doing nothing doesn't seem to be working.

Any ideas on what might? I am struck that the majority of mass killings may be coming from well-educated young men with mental health issues.

How about a graded gun license. Bow and arrow at 12. Single-shot rifle at 16. Automated weapons at 35. Exceptions for those actively in the military with clean mental health records.

We already won't turn the presidency over to a youngster for pretty good reasons.

I do wish some of the paranoid gun-rights yahoos - who might have quite a lot to contribute to a serious conversation - would take time to come up with some realistic ideas.

July 21, 2012 at 4:23 p.m.
conservative said...

Alprova.....

"if only it were that simple" - It is that simple! Countless can testify that it is that simple. God has changed the heart of countless, he changed my heart and yes he can even change yours!

When one accepts Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior, a transformation begins, he/she is born again and the person is a new creature in Christ.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5 :17.

The Apostle Paul, the greatest apostle, who wrote much of the New Testament was a murderer! He murdered Christians and was on his way to Damascus to murder some more when Jesus Christ intervened and saved him and then Paul became the greatest Christian who ever lived.

The Apostle Paul, a Jew, was perfect in keeping the Jewish law, but he was lost, bound for hell. He was "heavily" involved in the Jewish faith. He believed like countless millions today believe that by doing good works and being a "good" person he would go to heaven. He even believed he would find favor with God by killing Christians!

The mess media, being mostly ignorant of Scripture and hostile to Christianity are happy to call someone who attended a church a Christian. I recall the mess media calling the Branch Davidians and the group at Ruby Ridge Christians also. If Easy were to finally snap they would call him a Christian as well. After all he has claimed to have read the Bible many times and even attended a Bible college.

Don't join in with ignorant, hostile people willing to blame Christianity for horrible crimes. Don't let them exploit your ignorance of what a true Christian is.

July 21, 2012 at 4:24 p.m.
Easy123 said...

wwwtw,

"that morality is relative to the individual and that there is no objective moral standard by which human behavior should be judged."

Name anyone here that believes that. And then prove that Mr. Holmes believed that.

"He has been taught that good and evil are simply social constructions and that one conception of morality is just as valid as another."

Prove it.

"The gunman embraced the myth that humans are ultimately no more than random collections of molecules and that they have no meaning, purpose, or value beyond their biological utility."

Prove it.

You haven't proven any of your claims. You have created an elaborate straw man argument based on information that you could not possibly know. I challenge you to present something, anything that could be viewed as a credible source which could substantiate your claims.

July 21, 2012 at 4:36 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Easy is under the desk in the faculty lounge.

July 21, 2012 at 4:38 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Conservative,

You are creating a loop hole to remove any blame from Christianity. Read your Bible. If your god was real, he would be the most infamous mass murderer/abortionist of all time.

July 21, 2012 at 4:41 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JackTroll,

Dang, still nothing? Keep trying, bitch boy.

July 21, 2012 at 4:42 p.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "Alprova....."if only it were that simple" - It is that simple! Countless can testify that it is that simple. God has changed the heart of countless, he changed my heart and yes he can even change yours!"

There's nothing wrong with where my heart is.

"The Apostle Paul, the greatest apostle, who wrote much of the New Testament was a murderer! He murdered Christians and was on his way to Damascus to murder some more when Jesus Christ intervened and saved him and then Paul became the greatest Christian who ever lived."

Again. I repeat. I wish it were that simple. God, nor his Son does not interfere with free will.

To read what you have offered, if God or his Son could have intervened to save those 12 lives, from this man with mass murder in his heart, the question then becomes, why didn't either one of them do it?

"The mess media, being mostly ignorant of Scripture and hostile to Christianity are happy to call someone who attended a church a Christian."

Oh, so is that how it's going to be? Because he, for some yet to be determined reason, decided to take up arms and to kill indiscriminately, there is no way that he is or ever was a Christian?

You're a real piece of work. Why not admit for just once, that it is possible for a Christian to be an active sinner too. I'll guarantee that you sin on a daily basis. Your sin may not rise to the level that his did, but you sin nonetheless.

"I recall the mess media calling the Branch Davidians and the group at Ruby Ridge Christians also."

That's exactly what they claimed themselves to be.

"Don't join in with ignorant, hostile people willing to blame Christianity for horrible crimes. Don't let them exploit your ignorance of what a true Christian is."

I sure hope you figure out what a true Christian is, for your own sake and soul.

July 21, 2012 at 4:49 p.m.
degage said...

Alpo, I didn't say anything about Holmes being a lib. I just stated people change from their roots as Easy did. He didn't do what he did because he was a christian either. He did it because he was deranged, nothing to do with christian or liberal. Don't try to make it a religion thing, its not.

July 21, 2012 at 5:18 p.m.

Easy123 said... Prove it. You haven't proven any of your claims. You have created an elaborate straw man argument based on information that you could not possibly know. I challenge you to present something, anything that could be viewed as a credible source which could substantiate your claims.


Literalist.

July 21, 2012 at 5:34 p.m.
hambone said...

We would have had to have started 100 years ago with gun control laws for them to make any difference today!

Why in hell did Congress pass a law against the sale of assault rifles and high capacity magizines that EXPIRED? Why wasn't it permanate?

July 21, 2012 at 5:39 p.m.

My earlier comments will not sound unfamiliar to anyone with formal education or who regularly reads posts under the Bennett drawings. (While sober, anyway.) The gunman’s actions reflect an utter rejection of every word that fell from the lips of Jesus. Popular disdain for biblical morality has found another offspring. Don’t be shy, guys. Take a bow.

July 21, 2012 at 5:42 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

"The gunman’s actions reflect an utter rejection of every word that fell from the lips of Jesus. Popular disdain for biblical morality has found another offspring. Don’t be shy, guys. Take a bow."

FALSE.

Luke 12:51: 'Do you think I have come to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but hostility!'

Luke 14:26: 'If anyone does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, and yes, even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.'

Try again. And next time, read the WHOLE Bible.

And you have yet to prove any of your previous claims.

July 21, 2012 at 5:46 p.m.

You are a literalist, and no one ever taught you to read literature. Old ways die hard.

July 21, 2012 at 5:53 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

The Bible is not viewed as 'literature' by Christians. People base their lives off it. The many interpretations of the Bible only add to it's incoherence.

And I'd bet the ranch I've read more literature and taken more classes on it that you. But, by all means, proceed with you "literature" argument.

July 21, 2012 at 5:56 p.m.
miraweb said...

I was also thinking about how much training and repetition we put police and military personnel through so that they will be able to do the right thing at the right time in critical situations.

We normally don't think as clearly as we should in emergencies.

Expecting an adrenaline pumped tin-can jockey to have the focus and accuracy to make that kind of shot in a dark theatre full of kids is not a winning idea.

There is a big difference between life in the movies and real life.

The link is to a very good essay written by "Marley and Me" author John Grogan in 2006 about a man whose daughter was being kidnapped from her room. Only afterward did the dad realize his chances of hitting his daughter were pretty high if he'd taken the shot.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/archive/index.php/t-158101.html

July 21, 2012 at 6 p.m.

The first duty of responsible men is the re-statement of the obvious.

So, in addition to never having been catechized or taught to read literature, you were never taught church history beyond your fundamentalist milieu. Very sad. I tried to catechize you on another thread, but the editors didn’t like it. The Bible is more than literature, but it is not less than literature. Most Christians have always believed this.

Self-evident truths are better stated without proof-texting. If what I said is false, refute it. Your first attempt failed.

July 21, 2012 at 6:18 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova...

"There's nothing wrong with where my heart is." You are arrogant and self righteous. You need a savior just like everyone else but you are too arrogant and self righteous to see it. Your selfish pride either won't let you see it or admit it.

You don't understand that I am referring to a change of heart that God gives a man when he becomes a Christian.

God is sovereign so he knows when and how we are all to die. We ALL deserve to die and it is only by the grace of God that you and I are breathing at this moment. I do not question his authority or arrogantly fault him.

No, I don't believe he is a Christian and if enough facts about his life are made known I am certain it will be evident he wasn't. You make two errors here - 1) You take at face value that if someone attended a church that someone is a Christian 2) or WAS a Christian. A Christian can not cease to be a Christian. A Christian can not lose his/her salvation

I do sin everyday and so does everyone else. However, I have Jesus Christ as my Savior and because of this, my sins, past, present and future are forgiven. I am clothed with his righteousness, I don't have any of my own.

"That's exactly what they claimed themselves to be" - Jesus said "ye shall know them by their fruits". It amazes me how the heathen will so quickly corroborate this claim when the evidence points to the contrary. If someone claimed to be a doctor, lawyer. financial expert, etc these same would check their credentials before taking their word for it.

July 21, 2012 at 6:20 p.m.
Easy123 said...

wwwtw,

"The Bible is more than literature, but it is not less than literature. Most Christians have always believed this."

Most Christians DO NOT view the Bible as "literature". Ask any Christian. They do not put in on the same plane as any other book ever written. It has it's own section in the book store. It is not lumped in with any other work or genre.

"Self-evident truths are better stated without proof-texting. If what I said is false, refute it. Your first attempt failed."

You haven't presented any self-evident truths. And when you make a claim, the onus is on you to prove it. I guess you didn't learn that when you supposedly learned to read literature or catechized.

You're backpedalling hard. Make a cogent argument AND provide proof. That's all you have to do.

July 21, 2012 at 6:26 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

Easy123 can't refute anything. He takes "links" out of context and relies on what "feels" good. (a typical leftist practice) He would be better served on websites for teens.

July 21, 2012 at 6:29 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JackTroll,

Please provide an example that would support your claim or just keep talking out of your ass. You seem to do the latter very well. Wouldn't want to mess up a good thing now, would you?

Come on, bitch boy, put your money where your mouth is! I'm calling you out, old man. PROVE IT!

July 21, 2012 at 6:32 p.m.

ESV Study Bible:

Luke 14:26 If anyone comes to me. Cf. 9:23–24. Those who would be Christ’s disciples must (1) love their family less than they love Christ (14:26); (2) bear the cross and follow Christ (v. 27); and (3) relinquish everything (v. 33). These are complementary ways of describing complete commitment. The first condition for discipleship is to hate one’s father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, and life (cf. 18:29; see 6:20–22). “Hating” is a Semitic expression for loving less (cf. Gen. 29:30–31; Deut. 21:15–17; Matt. 10:37).

July 21, 2012 at 6:49 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Ladies and gentleman, I have officially gotten under tu_quoque's skin! I knew this day would come. On behalf of all the other posters that think TU is a complete fool and grade-A bitch, I dedicate this achievement to you. :-)

"And what meaning do you expect your delusional self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh, food and air. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

Go pee in an electrical outlet.

Maybe if you are real nice one of the other posters will urinate in your general direction and extinguish the burn.

Try butane next time fool.

LMAO"

July 21, 2012 at 6:55 p.m.
annisisbell said...

Its amazing that Christians are being scapegoated over a sad insane person and his actions. That's the same as the government taking every body's guns over something someone else did.

So if Christians are fair game - then lets consider disarming israel since it will try to bully us into attacking Iran and getting millions of people killed.

How about getting rid of minorities since they kill each other everyday.

No doubt this will upset you but its the same sort of reasoning that you're using.

Those who've taken over our government are really who we need to get rid of since they pose the biggest threat to peace and tranquility and public saftey.

July 21, 2012 at 6:59 p.m.

Easy123 said... Ask any Christian. They do not put in on the same plane as any other book ever written.

As I said, the Bible is more than literature. Fundamentalists are right about that. They are wrong about it being less than literature. The two of you agree that it must be either one or the other. Too simplistic. That is largely responsible for your failure to understand its primary teachings.

It has it's own section in the book store.

Exactly.

It is not lumped in with any other work or genre.

This is partly because it is actually a collection of books written in a variety of genres. Do I have to repeat the entire previous thread? Put down the bottle, have some coffee, and read.

July 21, 2012 at 7:01 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

"They are wrong about it being less than literature. The two of you agree that it has to be either one or the other. Too simplistic."

It cannot be both at the same time and still hold its value.

"This is partly because it is actually a collection of books written in a variety of genres. Do I have to repeat the entire previous thread? Put down the bottle, have some coffee, and read."

It is not viewed that way by the majority of Christians. Do I have to say that again? Come out from under your rock and embrace reality.

July 21, 2012 at 7:09 p.m.
alprova said...

degage wrote: "Alpo, I didn't say anything about Holmes being a lib. I just stated people change from their roots as Easy did."

I understand that you did not make such an accusation. The post you responded to was a post that I responded to that was submitted by conservative, where he wrote "Liberals constantly seek to eradicate God in our society and they succeeded with this man."

"He didn't do what he did because he was a christian either."

Of course he didn't. He didn't do it due to any group of people attempting to "eradicate God in our society" either. There is evidence to suggest that James Eagan Holmes was, at least at some time during his life, a Christian who was very "heavily involved" in one or more churches that he attended.

So, given that he was raised in a Christian home, and given the testimonials of some of the people who know him well who have spoken about his involvement with the church, it does not appear that the man was a stranger to Christianity.

Only God truly knows his heart. And contrary to popular belief by some, it is quite possible for a person to feel so deeply dedicated to God, that they will commit murder in his name.

That in no manner suggests that James Eagan Holmes was a Christian who went on a killing spree due to his Christianity. Conversely, for someone to sit in front of their computer and to blame what he did on Liberalism, as conservative did, is equally ludicrous, ignorant, and quite stupid.

I will never understand why it is that some people cannot separate their political beliefs from their religious beliefs. The only thing more polarizing than politics, is religion.

"He did it because he was deranged, nothing to do with christian or liberal. Don't try to make it a religion thing, its not."

We do not know enough yet to determine what his state of mind was at the time he did what he did. This one got out alive. He will one day have ample opportunity to explain his actions.

I do agree with you that it is highly unlikely that what he did had a thing to do with his religious beliefs. But while you didn't blame liberalism for the removal of God from our society, conservative did do so, and it's a false accusation.

July 21, 2012 at 7:20 p.m.

Easy123 said... Name anyone here that believes [the idiocy that there is no objective moral standard by which human behavior should be judged].

If you believe there is such a standard, where is it found? Which of its provisions did the gunmen violate? Is it strictly constituted by enacted civil laws? Or does it lie above and beyond civil law?

I’m certainly glad the abolitionists were able to muster stronger arguments than yours when they brought down the evil institution of slavery.

July 21, 2012 at 7:23 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

It's found innately in the mind of most same human beings.

Murder.

No.

Above civil law.

I haven't made any argument. I have refuted yours. If you would like to make a cogent argument accompanied by proof, I would love to hear it. Until then, keep mustering!

July 21, 2012 at 7:38 p.m.

I’ll make it easy as 123. Christians believe the Bible is God’s Word and that, properly understood, it has higher moral and religious authority than any other book. But you can’t properly understand it (or any book) until you decide to use some basic, common sense principles of reading, e.g. reading passages in context helps you to better understand them. This you refuse to do, so the Bible is little more, to you, than an offensive, weird, puzzle book.

The fact that the widespread acquisition of literacy skills often follows its introduction in a culture, the fact that it was used extensively by many of the greatest writers of the western tradition, and the fact that it’s a perpetual best-seller in many parts of the world is evidence that your assessment of its value is pretty flaky. Your hard heart has blinded you from understanding it. Tolle lege.

July 21, 2012 at 7:48 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

"This you refuse to do, so the Bible is little more, to you, than an offensive, weird, puzzle book."

This is a false assumption.

"The fact that the widespread acquisition of literacy skills often follows its introduction in a culture, the fact that it was used extensively by many of the greatest writers of the western tradition, and the fact that it’s a perpetual best-seller in many parts of the world is evidence that your assessment of its value is pretty flaky. Your hard heart has blinded you from understanding it."

These facts prove nothing. And my heart doesn't do any understanding, my brain does.

Keep trying.

July 21, 2012 at 7:57 p.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "alprova...You are arrogant and self righteous. You need a savior just like everyone else but you are too arrogant and self righteous to see it. Your selfish pride either won't let you see it or admit it."

I told you several times to worry about your own soul, and I'll tend to mine.

"You don't understand that I am referring to a change of heart that God gives a man when he becomes a Christian."

Well guess what? I seriously doubt that James Eagan Holmes had salvation on his mind two nights ago, so that is rather a moot point now.

"God is sovereign so he knows when and how we are all to die. We ALL deserve to die and it is only by the grace of God that you and I are breathing at this moment. I do not question his authority or arrogantly fault him."

Who faulted him? I merely pointed out the mere fact that God does not ever interfere with free will. We all make decisions throughout our lives on this Earth and we all will eventually answer for any decisions made that were wrong in the eyes of God.

"No, I don't believe he is a Christian and if enough facts about his life are made known I am certain it will be evident he wasn't"

Let me ask you another question then.

If a self-declared Christian man feels strongly enough about the issue of abortion, that he decides to burst into a church in order to murder a Christian man attending worship services, and that man is employed as a physician who performs abortions, which of the two men is likely a true Christian?

I shudder in expectation of your answer to that question.

"You make two errors here - 1) You take at face value that if someone attended a church that someone is a Christian or WAS a Christian."

You take at face value that because he committed an act that resulted in mass murder, despite his religious upbringing, that he was not a Christian.

"2) A Christian can not cease to be a Christian. A Christian can not lose his/her salvation"

I see. You're one of those, "Once saved, always saved" kinda Christians.

"I do sin everyday and so does everyone else. However, I have Jesus Christ as my Savior and because of this, my sins, past, present and future are forgiven. I am clothed with his righteousness, I don't have any of my own."

So then, what gives you any reason to think, given that you believe that once you are saved, you are always saved -- no matter what, that James Eagan Holmes, who likely was active in the church located where he grew up, and who also likely committed his life to Jesus at some point as well, is not now a Christian today?

You contradict yourself.

It is entirely possible for a God fearing or loving Christian to totally screw up and to commit a sin so horrible, that it defies any and all explanation, is it not? Or in your mind, is the only explanation there is, is that the person was never a "true" Christian to begin with? If that's so, then we are all in trouble.

July 21, 2012 at 8:05 p.m.
TOES02800 said...

Everybody's over analyzing this crap. With over 7 billion people on earth, we're going to have a few loose screws running around. There's no way to predict, or stop this kind of thing. The left has been trying to ban guns for years and will undoubtedly use this tragedy to pursue that end.

I think a lefty (can't remember who) once said: "we must never let a good crisis go to waste". Or something similar to that.

And by the way, there're nut cases in ALL walks of life, of ALL colors and creeds. So to even attempt to tie this to any single demographic is ridiculous and futile at best. It is what it is. A crazy kid wanted attention, and got it.

July 21, 2012 at 8:09 p.m.

Easy123 said... [An objective moral standard is] “found innately in the mind of most same human beings.”

By definition, such a standard is not objective. It is subjective and democratic. The majority of human beings throughout history have believed that slavery is a perfectly fine, even a necessary practice. Before several decades ago, most Indians believed that the self-immolation of widows on the funeral pyres of their dead husbands was a noble act. Is this simply because they were in need of clinical treatment for insanity? (If so, what would give someone the nerve to tell them that this practice was immoral? This is worth researching.) Neither are most people who commit murder insane. Your explanation is simplistic and no thinking person can maintain it.

"And my heart doesn't do any understanding, my brain does."

Yet another reason you cannot understand Hebrew writers. (or poetry in most any language) tolle lege. Good night.

July 21, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

"...the Bible is God’s Word and that, properly understood, it has higher moral and religious authority than any other book. But you can’t properly understand it (or any book) until you decide to use some basic, common sense principles of reading, e.g. reading passages in context helps you to better understand them. This you refuse to do, so the Bible is little more, to you, than an offensive, weird, puzzle book." - wwwtw

Oh, please. What hogwash. I have read the Bible with practically any attitude and mindset that one can approach it - as a young Christian who was raised on it and swallowed the "truth" of it unquestioningly, then as a skeptic with many serious questions about it in my teen years, then as a born-again Christian in my early 20s, as I came back to the church and read it, sincerely wanting to believe the "truth" of it with all my heart, then finally daring to question everything about it and read it with eyes and mind wide open. And of all the ways the Bible made any sense to me was when I read it for the first time as an objective observer. It made sense to me because I could see clearly for the first time that it made NO sense and therefore I no longer had to try to make sense of it. I understood that it was not literally historical and that it was not reality but merely a compilation of doctored, forged, and manipulated primitive myths passed down from primitve people with a limited understanding of the universe and the world around them.

Once you read it with your blinders completely off, it is easy to see it clearly for what it is, and there is no going back to anything as childish and as hollow as blind, unquestioning faith.

July 21, 2012 at 8:23 p.m.
TOES02800 said...

I'll bet most atheists even secretly pray on their death bed. "Just in case".

July 21, 2012 at 8:30 p.m.

Rickaroo said... “it was not literally historical”

What does that even MEAN? I seriously doubt if even YOU know what you mean by that. It makes no sense. No one competent taught you to read literature either. You “literally” don’t have a clue as to what either “literal” or “historical” mean with regard to a written document.

"Once you read it with your blinders completely off, it is easy to see it clearly for what it is, and there is no going back to anything as childish and as hollow as blind, unquestioning faith."

I agree. Tolle lege.

July 21, 2012 at 8:39 p.m.

The arrogant refusal to understand non-Western literature and culture is a big reason the rest of the world hates the West. Tolle lege.

July 21, 2012 at 8:46 p.m.
Easy123 said...

WWWTW,

"By definition, such a standard is not objective. It is subjective and democratic."

False.

"The majority of human beings throughout history have believed that slavery is a perfectly fine, even a necessary practice."

Including your Bible. However, some didn't believe slavery was fine at all. You mentioned the abolitionists.

"Before several decades ago, most Indians believed that the self-immolation of widows on the funeral pyres of their dead husbands was a noble act."

They believed this because of their religion. This example doesn't help your cause. "Your explanation is simplistic and no thinking person can maintain it."

Simplistic is better than nothing. And you have offered nothing. Any person can maintain it. It's very simple to live your life without religious influence.

"Yet another reason you cannot understand Hebrew writers."

Keep acting like you're an authority on the subject or you know something we all don't. The heart doesn't feel despite your use of hyperbole and romantic language.

Would you like to keep trying?

July 21, 2012 at 9:16 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Toes,

"I'll bet most atheists even secretly pray on their death bed. "Just in case"."

I highly doubt it but nothing would happen either way. They'd just be dead.

Would you say a secret prayer to Allah "just in case"? Or Satan? Wotan? Zeus? Doubt it.

Either way, we all die in the end. You won't know the difference.

July 21, 2012 at 9:18 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Wwwtw,

"The arrogant refusal to understand non-Western literature and culture is a big reason the rest of the world hates the West. Tolle lege."

You never stop trying to argue from authority. Your belief that you know how to read literature better than others does not strengthen your argument or make you look competent/intelligent.

You're arrogance has exposed your ignorance despite your claims of literary expertise.

July 21, 2012 at 9:29 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova....

Your pride and arrogance won't let you recognize or admit you know very little about the Bible or Christianity.

You evidently know how to do a google search. You could find Scriptures that are quite clear that a Christian can not lose his/her salvation. You have also made other claims that are contrary to Scripture. You speak of Scripture but Scripture doesn't support your claims.

Your latest silliness is to belittle the Scriptural doctrine that a Christian can not lose his/her salvation. Here is a plain statement from Jesus Christ that teaches that Christian can not lose his/her salvation - "25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one. John 10: 25-30.

Here is the point, Christians believe the word of God, they are disciples of Jesus and they learn of Jesus from the word of God. It is all about the word of God. False Christians lie about the word of God, refuse to believe the word of God, will not even read the word of God and even arrogantly make statements contrary to the word of God, - "I see. You're one of those, "Once saved, always saved" kinda Christians. YES, YES, YES, because the word of God teaches that.

Not long ago you went on a hate filled tirade accusing God of "murdering" the firstborn of the Egyptian children. God a murderer, what blasphemy!

About a week ago you made the crazy claim that Jesus gave monetary assistance to the poor and provided over 30 Scripture references to support that FALSE claim. Your ignorance of Scripture was shocking in your claim because many of those references you gave were from the Old Testament. You don't even know that Jesus was born over 1,000 years after those references you gave were written. None of those Scripture references you gave mentioned Jesus for Jesus had not yet been born!

Please, stop.

July 21, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.
TOES02800 said...

No one's talking to you easy. Shut the fuc# up.

July 21, 2012 at 9:39 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

BHO (the blessed) heading to CO tomorrow to visit with victim's families. IS THERE NO END to this guy's cheesy pandering? Has he no shame?

July 21, 2012 at 9:44 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Toes,

LMAO! You whiny bitch.

July 21, 2012 at 9:47 p.m.
TOES02800 said...

Yeah Jack. It's a good bet he uses the words "gun control" before his speech is over. I'm taking odds.

July 21, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JackTroll,

This is what Presidents do, you old bastard. Did you chastise Bush for going to Ground Zero? Your dementia must be setting in.

July 21, 2012 at 10:04 p.m.
Jack_Dennis said...

unEasy123: Aurora = 911? Don't think so. Were you born before 911?

July 21, 2012 at 10:08 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JackTroll,

I never said they were equal.

It's very thoughtful of any President to something like this.

July 21, 2012 at 10:14 p.m.
MalleusChristus said...

Jesus Christ>>>John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, "I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life..."

Saint Luke 22-Jesus said: "...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

"And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said unto them, It is enough."

July 21, 2012 at 11:02 p.m.
MalleusChristus said...

Exodus 32:33

"And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book."

Revelation 3:5

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Galatians 1:6

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel..."

Galatians 5:4

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace."

Matthew 26:14

"Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, and said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver Him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray Him."

Luke 22:48

"But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?"

John 6:71

"He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve."

Acts 1:25

"And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two Thou hast chosen, That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place."

July 21, 2012 at 11:28 p.m.
dude_abides said...

tu_quoque said...

"God must not like street punks so much as he allows at lot of them to be eliminated quite often. It’s probably his quality control program to rid the system of faulty units." LMAO

Do you have the same disgusting opinion about our dead war veterans, tu_? Do you think God is culling them out? Are they faulty units that the system needs to be rid of?
I guess you believe that since the Colorado shooter's gun didn't jam, God wanted all those 'faulty' young movie goers murdered? You should follow the advice you gave someone this very day about making rash statements.

You folks keep attacking Easy123 as being young. If Easy is young, you should be embarrassed at having him hand you your a$$ day after day.

July 21, 2012 at 11:28 p.m.
blackwater48 said...

OKAY, LET'S WRAP IT UP

It's fun to get together on this site after another mass shooting so we can all yammer on endlessly about Jesus and liberals and the Constitution and bumper sticker slogans.

It's fun to watch conservatives defend the indefensible.

It's fun to watch liberals rail against the unassailable.

Good times. So we lower the flags again, say a prayer again, and thank god or karma or plain dumb luck we literally dodged another bullet.

Like I mentioned earlier I refuse to watch the media coverage of this endless American carnage. Thankfull, these mass killings usually have a media life of less than a week, give or take. When that Congresswoman got herself shot in the head the stories dragged on for months, but there's always something bright and shiny around the corner.

Seriously. Try to remember the number of mass shootings in the past three months. Do you remember in which state the killings occurred? How about any one of the three names we use to identify the latest celebrity shooters? How about the number of dead?

Move along, folks. There's nothing to see.

July 21, 2012 at 11:33 p.m.
Easy123 said...

It appears I've pressed all the right buttons! This one takes the cake! Keep it up, sweetheart! :-)

"Your mother is a whore and the daughter of a whore. Your father was likely her brother, but could have been any of her cousins

You are a bleating fool, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts that sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done.

You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt.

You are a living, breathing poster-child for birth-control and abortion.

You were obviously not toilet-trained correctly, which explains the stains on the floor of your cardboard box. Your webbed feet go well with the pointy forehead. Your manners are hideous, your brain minute, and your body odor could fell an ox.

You would fit nicely on one of the short buses to a Fleabagger/Ocutard campout.

Come on SLEasy I thought you wanted to talk smack but your emasculation is very obvious.

LMAO"

July 21, 2012 at 11:47 p.m.

Fewer comments than I expected.

Anyway, I doubt anybody else being armed in the theater would have helped. The shooter while possibly delusional, was not deranged to the point where he couldn't implement a very effective assault. Tear gas, body armor, multiple weapons? I doubt anybody could have done much in that situation. Booby-trapping his apartment also took some forethought, though the reason escapes me.

That said, with his age and reported decline in grades, I would say schizophrenia is a concern. That will take some investigation though.

July 22, 2012 at 2:01 a.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "Your pride and arrogance won't let you recognize or admit you know very little about the Bible or Christianity."

1.) I am not proud of a thing I do.

2.) I have never held myself up to be a Biblical Scholar.

3.) Who made you an authority on who is Christian or not?

"You evidently know how to do a google search. You could find Scriptures that are quite clear that a Christian can not lose his/her salvation."

There are contradictions contained in scripture throughout the Bible. The fact that you cherry pick one to support your stance is not surprising to me at all. To disregard other Biblical references that contradict it, is very typical.

"Here is the point, Christians believe the word of God, they are disciples of Jesus and they learn of Jesus from the word of God. It is all about the word of God. False Christians lie about the word of God, refuse to believe the word of God, will not even read the word of God and even arrogantly make statements contrary to the word of God, - "I see. You're one of those, "Once saved, always saved" kinda Christians. YES, YES, YES, because the word of God teaches that."

Look, I've made it very clear to you, that I do not believe the Bible used today to be "the word of God." You disagree with me on that, and therefore you consider me to be a "false Christian." Fine. So be it. I care not one whit what you think.

"Not long ago you went on a hate filled tirade accusing God of "murdering" the firstborn of the Egyptian children. God a murderer, what blasphemy!"

Setting aside your charge that I offered it as a "hate-filled tirade," and that it is "blasphemous" it is indeed written in the Bible, and it is described in vivid detail.

"About a week ago you made the crazy claim that Jesus gave monetary assistance to the poor and provided over 30 Scripture references to support that FALSE claim."

Here's the link: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jul/10/political-baggage-cartoon-mitt-romney-clay-bennett/#c176354

Monetary? Not quite. I offered scripture to refute your whimsical stance that the assistance "Jesus gave to the poor was not monetary. Jesus healed scores of the lame, blind,deaf, sick etc.and even raisd the dead! However his greatest assistance to those in need was the forgiveness of sins- salvation."

It is unclear how much money changed hands back in the day, however, the Bible is very clear that God and his Son absolutely demand that anyone who has the means to help the poor is duty bound to do so, or they will indeed answer to God for not doing so, which was the point of providing scripture to prove it.

(To be Cont.)

July 22, 2012 at 2:33 a.m.
alprova said...

(Cont.)

"Your ignorance of Scripture was shocking in your claim because many of those references you gave were from the Old Testament."

Ah...but more than thirty were from the New Testament. Count them.

Did you even look any of them up and read them? There's no way for you to deny what is contained in each and every one of them. Some of them refute that "once saved and destined for Heaven, always destined for Heaven, no matter what" stance of yours.

"You don't even know that Jesus was born over 1,000 years after those references you gave were written."

God commands us to assist the poor as well. I merely included references from the Old Testament to support that too. You do realize that he is still the CEO, don't you?

"None of those Scripture references you gave mentioned Jesus for Jesus had not yet been born!"

I suggest that you revisit the above referenced post, look up each and every Scriptural reference, and as a man who claims to believe that every sentence contained in the Bible is the "word of God," you either need to heed the instruction contained therein, or continue to deny it, at your own peril of course.

Your unrelenting battles are defining you a hypocrite of the worst order. How you can claim that the Bible is the "word of God" and then accuse me of being a "false Christian" after citing more than 30 very relevant scriptural references from the New Testament, is beyond all comprehension.

"Please, stop."

If you continue to hold yourself up as an example of what constitutes a "true Christian," you can look forward to more of the same. You are clearly confused, in complete denial, and utterly brainwashed.

July 22, 2012 at 2:34 a.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "None of those Scripture references you gave mentioned Jesus for Jesus had not yet been born!"

You're bearing false witness. The very first one out of the box was a man's direct conversation with Jesus. Here it is in all its glory;

Matthew 19:16-30 (TNIV);

16 - Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"

17 - "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments."

18 - "Which ones?" he inquired. Jesus replied, "You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,

19 - "honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself."

20 - "All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?"

21 - Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

22 - When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 - Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven."

24 - "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

25 - When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26 - Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

27 - Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"

28 - Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

29 - "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life."

30 - "But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first."

July 22, 2012 at 8:04 a.m.
conservative said...

alprova....

" Who made you an authority on who is Christian or not?"-

You have indicted yourself. You have made no profession of Christianity for obvious reasons. You are grossly ignorant of Scripture and even worse claim we have no Bible.

"There are contradictions contained in scripture throughout the Bible.

There are no contradictions in Scripture, it is the word of God. You think this because - "13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. 14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one." 1 Corinthians 2:13-15 ESV

"The fact that you cherry pick one to support your stance is not surprising to me at all."

Again there are no contradictions in Scripture, it only seems so to those who lack understanding. I of course would use the Scripture pertinent to my point. This is common sense.

"To disregard other Biblical references that contradict it, is very typical." - You have yet to provide one and that is typical of you.

July 22, 2012 at 9:02 a.m.
conservative said...

alprova.....

"So be it. I care not one whit what you think." - Then why do you stay up all night trying to vindicate yourself?

"Setting aside your charge that I offered it as a "hate-filled tirade," and that it is "blasphemous" it is indeed written in the Bible, and it is described in vivid detail."

You used the word "murder." You charged God with "murder." That is blasphemy!

"It is unclear how much money changed hands back in the day, however, the Bible is very clear that God and his Son absolutely demand that anyone who has the means to help the poor is duty bound to do so, or they will indeed answer to God for not doing so, which was the point of providing scripture to prove it."

You omitted some of my words in order to change the subject that subject being - "You obviously are unaware that the assistance that Jesus gave to the poor was not monetary. Jesus healed scores of the lame, blind,deaf, sick etc.and even raised the dead! However his greatest assistance to those in need was the forgiveness of sins- salvation."

None of the Scripture references you provided concerned Jesus giving monetary assistance to anyone. That was not his earthly mission. However Jesus often instructed YOU alprova to give to the poor. YOU alprova get no commendation from God if government provides assistance to the poor. Government is a third party. YOU alprova are to do the giving. Do YOU not understand that YOU are to give? Again, as I have already stated, you will not find Jesus giving any monetary assistance to anyone in those Scripture references you cited.

July 22, 2012 at 2:34 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova....

"Did you even look any of them up and read them?" - I have read them all many times and none of them depict Jesus giving monetary assistance to anyone. If YOU had looked them up, YOU would also know that. I will remind you that YOU cited those Scriptures to refute my claim that Jesus gave no monetary assistance to the poor.

"There's no way for you to deny what is contained in each and every one of them." - I would never deny the truths, facts etc contained in Scripture. Why do You?

" Some of them refute that "once saved and destined for Heaven, always destined for Heaven, no matter what" stance of yours." That is a lie and YOU know it. And You know it because You did not even try to quote Scripture to support the lie.

"God commands us to assist the poor as well. I merely included references from the Old Testament to support that too" - Now YOU compound YOUR lie. You had cited Old Testament Scripture in an effort to refute my claim that Jesus gave no monetary assistance to anyone. Those Scriptures you cited were written over 1,000 years before Jesus was born. This is gross ignorance on your part and highly contrary to anyone familiar with Scripture. Yes, I know you claim that we don't have Scripture. Why do you refer to something you say doesn't exist?

July 22, 2012 at 3:23 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova....

"and as a man who claims to believe that every sentence contained in the Bible is the "word of God," - Yes I do just like other true Christians do! Your erroneous beliefs reveal your standing with God.

"Your unrelenting battles are defining you a hypocrite of the worst order. How you can claim that the Bible is the "word of God" and then accuse me of being a "false Christian" after citing more than 30 very relevant scriptural references from the New Testament, is beyond all comprehension." - You are continuing to lie about Jesus giving monetary assistance to anyone. YOU are the hypocrite.

"If you continue to hold yourself up as an example of what constitutes a "true Christian," you can look forward to more of the same. You are clearly confused, in complete denial, and utterly brainwashed"- I am certain you will continue to display your hostility to God, Scripture and myself.

July 22, 2012 at 5:29 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova....

."None of those Scripture references you gave mentioned Jesus for Jesus had not yet been born!" "You're bearing false witness" -

The "None of those" was in reference to my correcting you for citing Old Testament Scripture supporting your claim that Jesus gave monetary support to the poor which you omitted. Jesus had not been born yet when those Old Testament Scripture were written. How many times do I have to point this out before you get it?

Also, the passage you have presented Mathew 19: 16-30 supports my position that YOU are to do the giving. Also, there is no evidence that Jesus gave money to anyone in this passage, which confirms what I have stated numerous times. Let's see if you finally get it.

July 22, 2012 at 6:59 p.m.
dao1980 said...

Wow, conny you are one scary individual with deep pathological issues.

Even more frightening is the way you believe God desires you to think these terrible and egocentric things about life and the world around you.

When generally intelligent folks can't find anyone to feel engaged by or relate to in a church or place of worship,.. you and those like you are the reason.

July 23, 2012 at 11:01 a.m.
delmar said...

Easy123 said; "Either way, we all die in the end. You won't know the difference."

Amen brother, amen.

July 23, 2012 at 1:38 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.